Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Subsistence Fishing

So we got back from our camping trip yesterday and I finally have good enough internet to post some pics. The whole experience was just amazing and something that not very many people get to experience. Skip's dad was able to get all of the Salmon that they will need for the year.
I'm glad that we got the chance to be there.
Here are the nets that have just been pulled out of the water.
This time there were over 60 fish in the net.


I wanted the kids in a pic with the fish but had to threaten them to make sure they didn't touch anything. I guess it would be a fine for us and the people fishing which would not be good!
Everyone pulling the fish out of the nets.
Then they get washed in the ocean and stuck in the bins.

Then on to the tables for fileting.
This is Skips dad fileting the fish right there on the beach. This is the part Skip wished he really could have helped with because he has done this a million times in his life and is really good at it!
It was especially hard because it was J.J's first time and Skip couldn't even teach him.

Skip watching on the sidelines!Me watching on the sidelines trying to stay warm.
Don't you think I am starting to look like an eskimo? This is where all the left over fish guts, heads, and tails end up. I wish I would have taken a picture of it on the last day cause it was completely full and disgusting!

This was a fish tail that a French chef cooked over the fire for us.
It doesn't get any fresher than this!
It was delicious!
I just thought this was hillarious watching this guy try to fly this huge kite with a fishing pole! ONLY IN ALASKA!
This is Skip, and the other guy we were camping with, fishing at the Kasilof river for Salmon. This spot was about a ten minute walk from where we were camping.

Here are the kids watching with their safety glasses on. Aren't they cute!

5 comments:

Wes and Lindsay said...

those fish are huge, and there are so many! I see why fishing in Utah isn't that exciting for Skip.

Sara :-) said...

incredible! I love it!

Charity said...

fun fun fun... I sat at home with my unwashed pile of laundry...lol

Always, Forever, NO MATTER WHAT said...

Yucky! That fish looks nasty. But it looks awsome!

Rob and Toni said...

Looks like you guys are having a good time...you are totally an eskimo! Anywho, when I went to turn in my stuff at school I asked what clinical groups we were in and she said we were in different one. If you want to be in the same one we can change. We can either do them at Red Cliffs or at St. George Care Center. Also would you prefer to do them right at the beginning of the semester or at the end? You can call me if you like and we can actually talk, but I didn't want to waste your minutes and what not. Anyways, sorry so long. Let me know! -Toni

Parker-6, Hailey-8, Thatcher-10

Parker-6, Hailey-8, Thatcher-10
AND THEN THERE'S...

Kennedy-2!!

Kennedy-2!!